The Student News Site of Colonia Middle School

The Patriot Post

• December 8Congratulations to Mrs. Elizabeth Castro 2023-2024 CMS Governor's Excellence in Education Support Person of the Year
  • December 8Congratulations to Mrs. Henriques 2023-2024 CMS Governor's Excellence in Education Teacher of the Year!!

The Patriot Post

The Patriot Post

Polls

What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Football’s History Will Never be the Same!

Photo courtesy of Jack Cowen

Four coaches that have had a major impact on their football teams have either resigned, stepped down, or been fired in the last 24 hours. These are the following coaches that have made impacts for their teams. 

First, we have Mike Vrabel of the Tennessee Titans. Mike Vrabel is a former NFL linebacker that took the reins at Tennessee not too long ago. His first move was to get rid of Marcus Mariota and replace him with Ryan Tannehill. Vrabel has also drafted 2 quarterbacks in the last 2 NFL drafts in the first 3 rounds. While the Titans did find success in 2021, they never seemed to get back on the horse after a first round loss to the Bengals. Vrabel was fired on January 10th, 2024.

Secondly, we have Pete Carrol. Pete Carrol was the coach for the Seattle Seahawks for over a decade. Back in the 2010s, Carrol took a bottom 5 team to Super Bowl champions. He created one of the best defenses the NFL has ever seen, and composed a powerful offense with Russel Wilson and Marshawn Lynch.

Unfortunately, the Seahawks fell one yard short of going back-to-back, after a controversial call by Pete Carrol. Russel Wilson threw an interception at the goal line to Malcom Butler, a devastating play for the ‘Hawks. Carrol and Seattle never seemed to get back to that glory after that interception, and he stepped down on January 10th, 2024.

Third, we have Nick Sabin, of the Alabama Crimson Tide.(Not NFL) Nick Sabin won 6 national championships with ‘Bama, while just losing in the semifinals to Michigan in overtime 27-20. Nick Sabin was the best college football coach of all time, and there’s really no debate. Sabin was a tough, punishing, but overall an amazing coach and an even better person to know. Sabin resigned on January 10th, 2024.

Finally, we have Bill Belichick, the greatest football coach to ever live. Belichick has 8 Super Bowl rings; two as the defensive coordinator for the New York Giants, and six for the New England Patriots. The Patriots were led by Belichick and Tom Brady for about 20 years before Tom Brady moved on to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and won a seventh Super Bowl.

After Brady moved on, the Patriots were never the same. Mac Jones, who was coached by Nick Sabin, was starting to look like Brady’s replacement, but an abysmal 2023 season proved us wrong. Belichick is a NFL Hall of Fame lock, and he resigned on January 10th, 2024.

January 10th, 2024, Armageddon for football fans indeed.