The Student News Site of Colonia Middle School

The Patriot Post

• December 8Congratulations to Mrs. Elizabeth Castro 2023-2024 CMS Governor's Excellence in Education Support Person of the Year
  • December 8Congratulations to Mrs. Henriques 2023-2024 CMS Governor's Excellence in Education Teacher of the Year!!

The Patriot Post

The Patriot Post

Polls

What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

MLB OPENING DAY 2024

Bill_Selak, courtesy of Flickr

On March 20th and 21st, the first games of the Major League Baseball 2024 season began. The games were held in Seoul, South Korea at the Gocheok SkyDome. The teams that played were the Los Angeles Dodgers against the San Diego Padres.

In game 1,  the Dodgers were away and the Padres were home, and in game 2 the Padres were away and the Dodgers were home. 

Game 1 of the Seoul Series started off with the American National Anthem and the South Korean National Anthem, then the first pitch came by Chan Ho Park who is the first Korean player to play in the MLB as well as a former Dodgers and Padres picther.

Yu Darvaish who was a former Texas Rangers player, pitched the first inning for the Padres, and “Mookie” Betts, who was a gold glove winner for 6 times was the first up at bat. At bat, Darvaish got a pitch count violation at 3-1 count, so Betts got a first base.

Later in the third inning, Xander Bogarts hit to center field for an RBI with Tyler Wade scoring the first run of this game. Wadea also made a throwing error to first base causing a player to go to second. 

In the fourth inning, Jason Heyward hit the ball, but another player on the Dodgers caught it. Fortunately for the Dodgers, Enrique Hernandez scored tying the game 1-1.

Later on, the Padres managed to take the lead back, but at the end of the game, the Dodgers managed to win, making their record 1-0, and the Padres 0-1.

Game 2 started off the same way but no first pitch. Yoshinobu Yamamoto was the pitcher for the first inning for the Dodgers. Now, once Fernando Tatis Jr got up, he hit even after his history of injuries.

Thankfully for the Padres, Jake Cronenworth hit an in the park Grand-Slam bringing two men home, making the score 2-0.  This game was very close for a while as close as 12-11.

Around the end of the game, Manny Machado scored a home run helping the Padres take the lead by three.  In the end, the San Diego Padres won the second game of the Seoul Series.

Overall both games were incredibly fun to watch and personally, I cannot wait for the next games, especially Yankees and Astros. You really never know who will win a game.

This game showed a perfect example of that, maybe the Yankees will win, maybe the Astros, and if your a Mets fan maybe the Brewers will win, maybe the Mets, or for whatever team you like!

If you enjoy baseball and the MLB like I do, make sure you watch the season, and hit a home-run!