The Student News Site of Colonia Middle School

The Patriot Post

• December 8Congratulations to Mrs. Elizabeth Castro 2023-2024 CMS Governor's Excellence in Education Support Person of the Year
  • December 8Congratulations to Mrs. Henriques 2023-2024 CMS Governor's Excellence in Education Teacher of the Year!!

The Patriot Post

The Patriot Post

Polls

What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

What Are Brain Freezes?

What Are Brain Freezes?

Everyone at least once in their life has gotten a brain freeze.

Considering that it is a common occurrence for anyone eating cold food, what is it?

Even more, when did it first happen, and how do we cure them?

You see, it is when you eat a very cold substance such as ice cream and the body tries to warm itself up quickly after the cold hits the roof of your mouth. The blood vessels expand thanks to a survival reflex to gather warmth but size change may be irritating.

And don’t worry! It’s not harmful, and can’t kill you. Don’t worry! If you try to drink warm water or put your tongue on the roof of your mouth, it will get better soon!

The words “ice cream headache” have been in use since January 31st, 1937, which probably means a brain freeze but before the terminology was created.