The Student News Site of Colonia Middle School

The Patriot Post

• December 8Congratulations to Mrs. Elizabeth Castro 2023-2024 CMS Governor's Excellence in Education Support Person of the Year
  • December 8Congratulations to Mrs. Henriques 2023-2024 CMS Governor's Excellence in Education Teacher of the Year!!

The Patriot Post

The Patriot Post

Polls

What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The Deptford Township District is Disabling Chromebooks

Yes that is right they actually are going through with it but the thing about this is that they still have to keep it during school.

The thing about this is that for the elementary schools they are being disabled from 8pm to 6am, middle schools are 9pm to 6am, and finally high schools are from 10pm to 6am.

The District suggests that this  will make their students more academically active by getting better sleep. Studies show that looking at screens before bed leads to worse sleep and more fatigue the next day. 

Now this sounds good except for what if the student has things to do after school, like sports and clubs. What if they have to do something for their family? So now if they get home and try to do their homework they can’t! Also don’t forget about that they have to eat dinner sometimes it can be a half hour and an hour if they eat out! There is the factor of hard work. I have had to do homework until late hours many times before. 

This is also encouraging anti-social behavior. Since now they will likely have to rush home, they can’t spend time with their friends. Missing or incomplete work is also a factor, someone may be rushing their homework even if they can do it on time. They may get to work when it gets deactivated or are doing it and it gets deactivated. 

This may cause stress for the students because they may stress over if they do their work on time.

It may be slightly of a good change, like I could see it teaching kids to not procrastinate because if they do their Chromebooks will be shut off before they finish. 

Finally though, this is very real and it will be taking effect for their schools on March 1st. But luckily this isn’t in our district, but I am worried that it might just spread to our district and it will happen to us too!