The Student News Site of Colonia Middle School

The Patriot Post

• December 8Congratulations to Mrs. Elizabeth Castro 2023-2024 CMS Governor's Excellence in Education Support Person of the Year
  • December 8Congratulations to Mrs. Henriques 2023-2024 CMS Governor's Excellence in Education Teacher of the Year!!

The Patriot Post

The Patriot Post

Polls

What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Is the Arctic Melting?!

Photo courtesy of RawPixel

The arctic. A frozen wonderland inhabited by many beloved creatures such as polar bears, penguins, and many more.

Studies used to say that in 80,000 years, the Arctic will see its first ice free days. The key word is “used to”.

Now due to climate change, the Arctic might see its first ice free days in 2035!

Now this doesn’t mean completely no ice as there will be a little bit stuck to places like Greenland. In this case, ice free means less than 1 million sq feet of ice.

This loss of ice will heavily impact wildlife such as polar bears and penguins that live in the Arctic. It isn’t over yet for the Arctic though, since we can still reduce our carbon emissions greatly.

The Arctic could go back to white, but only if we reduce our carbon emissions moderately, the Arctic will be ice free by 2100.