The Student News Site of Colonia Middle School

The Patriot Post

• December 8Congratulations to Mrs. Elizabeth Castro 2023-2024 CMS Governor's Excellence in Education Support Person of the Year
  • December 8Congratulations to Mrs. Henriques 2023-2024 CMS Governor's Excellence in Education Teacher of the Year!!

The Patriot Post

The Patriot Post

Polls

What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

CMS Working Towards Sustainability

CMS Working Towards Sustainability
Photo Courtesy of Flickr

Whether you are in Gardening Club, Friday’s Friends, Science class or wandering around the halls, you may have heard that Colonia Middle School is looking to be more sustainable.

According to YouMatter.world, sustainability is defined as “the processes and actions through which humankind avoids the depletion of natural resources, in order to keep an ecological balance that doesn’t allow the quality of life of modern societies to decrease.”

So what does that mean?  It means that CMS has joined the fight against wasting natural resources in order to protect the environment. 

For example, the water refill stations are a great thing, right?  They sure are, not only is the water filtered better and healthier, but by refilling your water bottle, you save plastic water bottles from being wasted and filling up the landfills. Do you realize that it takes about 450 years for a water bottle to decompose?

You also might have noticed the great changes being made to our second courtyard between the 8th and 7th grade wings.  We have three new garden beds out there as well as the new addition of our greenhouse.   

Over the next few months, we will also be creating an outdoor classroom and a butterfly garden!

All of these components will help Colonia Middle be more sustainable.  You decrease the chemicals in your food by growing your own and not using pesticides or unnatural fillers and add healthy components to your diets.  In addition, you improve the air quality with the flowers and plants around.

The butterfly garden will increase the population of bees and butterflies which help the plants and flowers pollinate and add growth. 

You are probably thinking this area will only be for Friday’s Friends and Science classes, but an outdoor area where you can still study and learn is good for all students.  

It gives you fresh air and helps the building save on electricity.  

There are a million ways that each of us can help CMS become more sustainable!

Won’t you help out?