The Student News Site of Colonia Middle School

The Patriot Post

• December 8Congratulations to Mrs. Elizabeth Castro 2023-2024 CMS Governor's Excellence in Education Support Person of the Year
  • December 8Congratulations to Mrs. Henriques 2023-2024 CMS Governor's Excellence in Education Teacher of the Year!!

The Patriot Post

The Patriot Post

Polls

What is your favorite spring sport?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Title 42 and the US Southern Border

Photo courtesy of rawpixel.com

Title 42 was an emergency health authority law issued in March 2020 which allowed law officials to turn away Mexican immigrants easily because of the Covid-19 virus, making it difficult to cross the border. On May 11, 2023, Title 42 officially expired and the southern border has been a mess since.

On October 5, President Biden’s administration announced that they are going to build a wall in another section of the southern border. This idea is shocking for some people because when Joe Biden was running in the 2020 election, he swore to never build another foot of wall which was begun by President Trump.

President Biden claims he couldn’t stop it since the funding had already been secured. When questioned if the wall will actually solve this issue, he simply replied, “No”.

The President of Mexico, Andres Manuel López Obrador, criticized the announcement saying it is opposite to what Biden has said before.

So far into this year, more than 245,000 crossings have happened and several states have said they are already experiencing downsides. Mayor of New York City, Eric Adams predicted the cost of housing the 100,000 new people will rise to 12 billion over the next 3 years causing the cost of homes all over to rise.

This has been a very debatable topic to most people but what do you think?