JUSTICE FOR SPOTIFY!!!

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Kyra Bridgeforth, Newspaper Staff Reporter

Do you like listening to music in class while doing your work? Well, Spotify is the perfect app for doing so. However, our township has recently banned Spotify due to students overly abusing it. 

Many kids blast inappropriate music without headphones during class. This is really disruptive to other students’ education and breaks focus. District officials also don’t want kids ignoring the teacher during lessons or listening to explicit songs. 

So why should the township unblock Spotify? Here’s are a few valid reasons.

“Research has shown that listening to music can reduce anxiety, blood pressure, and pain as well as improve sleep quality, mood, mental alertness, and memory,”  as stated by John Hopkins Medicine on their web-site.

Music can make a child’s life less stressful and much more enjoyable.  After covid, school life has been a mess. Music is proven to help struggling students regain focus. Also you never know what students are going through and music may be their only escape. 

Now of course there has to be a few ground rules within this app. For example:

• Students must listen to music with headphones
  • Students must have permission from teacher at all times
  • Music must be listened to on the student chromebook and no other devices such as phones

The township thinks that blocking Spotify will encourage students to pay attention to their teachers but instead students will try to find other ways to get what they want. Finding other apps, bringing their phones and airpods to class, using YouTube, etc. It’s bound to happen so the township should start being reasonable and fair to students instead of taking away everything from them.

On the other hand, students must be responsible and obey the rules as well. It could be a winning situation for all!