New Stem Lab for CMS?

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Dominick Mazzerella, Newspaper Staff Reporter

8th and 7th-grade students of Colonia Middle School remember the science experiments or labs in their science rooms.  8th-grade students are looking forward to the stem lab at Colonia High School where they can do STEM activities like Edible Stained Glass, Homemade ecosystems, and the science of cookies.

An architect from Parrett Somjen Architects did a walkthrough of many schools in the district last month. They have presented multiple changes to the school board. One of those changes is the stem lab. 

There is no set place for the stem lab, as Mr. Taber said, “So we are looking to do a stem lab but we are not sure of the room at this time”. 

Some benefits of having a stem lab are having more children interested in science and stem. Kids will wanna come to school on the day they have the stem lab, and this will reduce absences and tardiness.

The National Inventors Hall of Fame also explain some other reasons why it would be good such as that it will increase problem-solving, critical thinking, creativity, curiosity, decision making, leadership, entrepreneurship, acceptance of failure, media, and technology literacy, productivity, social skills, communication, flexibility, and initiative.

Many students think that most of what you learn in school does not apply in the real world. Most of what you learn in STEM is used in the real world and you can be used for the rest of your life. If you learn about the science of cookies you can make your own cookie recipe and know that if something is not right at first, you can always change it.